Ad·ver·game [ad-vur - geym] – a downloadable or Web-based computer or mobile game
which incorporates and features advertising for products and services
Advergaming refers to using a mobile or computer game to advertise a brand, product or company. It is a powerful tool to build brand loyalty, boost product awareness and to capture crucial data about existing and potential customers. Over 60% of the world’s population owns a cellphone so creating a mobile or computer game reflecting your company brand or product makes marketing sense. Also, people love mobile video games and over one-third of cellphone users play them.
- Advergaming is about blending advertising and entertainment and the advantages of using a branded mobile game or application as part of your marketing strategy are limitless. These include:
- Advergames enable your consumers to get involved and interact with your brand in an entertaining way. Your advertising message is inside the content that the player is engaging in and enjoying and so this interaction leads to better retention of the product and the message the advertiser is trying to portray.
- Advergames build customer relationships and enables the advertiser to learn about the preferences of their customers.
- Advergames enhance brand recognition. Repetition of a brand and addiction to playing the mobile game can generate brand recognition and maintain a user’s attention longer on the featured brand. That is, the more entertaining the game, the more contact the player has with your brand.
- Advergames provide a platform for brand exposure. The branded mobile game is developed all around the brand and is adapted to enhance the core brand qualities and to communicate a marketing message.
- Advergames create brand awareness and they also enable you to educate your consumers about your product and brand. As an additional bonus, games that are especially entertaining, clever or challenging get passed on to friends which then creates effective and powerful viral marketing for the brand or product.
- A powerful lure of advergames is that they are downloaded by the end consumer in contrast to mass marketing that is pushed to end consumers. The result is a true one-to-one interaction. That is, the user focuses their attention on the game as they have chosen to interact and play. The click through rate for advergames is very high, between 24 and 30%, compared to other advertising mediums.
- Advergaming is measurable and identifiable per country, per network service provider and per handset, which makes it easy to calculate the effectiveness of a campaign.
- Advergames enable you to acquire leads. You are able to collect valuable customer data which is ideal for generating user databases for future marketing campaigns.
- The average time a player engages in an advergame ranges between 15 and 30 minutes. It is difficult to imagine that someone focuses on a TV spot, a magazine ad or a billboard for more than a few seconds. Rather than being exposed to a 30-second ad, an advergame captures the customer’s attention in a more significant manner for several minutes and potentially hours.
- There is a branded mobile game for every market whether is it travel, entertainment, fashion, automotive etc. Advergaming can also be used as an educational or recruiting tool or as a medium to promote events such as, concerts, parties, tournaments or competitions. Some companies have used advergames to get valuable feedback from potential customers about newly released products. Other organizations are even turning to advergaming for new and fun ways to train employees and to educate the public.
- Advergames are highly targeted branded experiences that can deliver results worldwide.
The possibilities are limitless.
Advergames connect advertisers with customers who are no longer easily reached through traditional media channels and they clearly provide advertisers with the ability to target consumers in ways that have never been possible before.
The impressive growth of advergaming shows no signs of slowing down so join the ride!